Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Slate Blue Martinsville Side Table

I'm baaaaaack!

Boy oh boy it's been awhile, eh? July turned into August way too fast, and now it's already nearly the middle of the month! Dang I hate how fast summer flies by, don't you?

The commercials are finished and out, but I'll have to save all the yummy behind-the-scenes scoop for another post.  Here's a teaser:


To y'all who have been following me on Instagram, you've already seen that pic and are probably less than fazed right now. So here's a little bonus for yas:


Mickey wasn't doing his job of censoring that day...

I kid.

It was a good experience and I got to meet and work with some cool peeps, so I am looking forward to sharing it all with you guys! But for now...

...the newest piece makeover!

I bought this table from a nice lady a few weeks out from filming, and it patiently waited for me to wrap things with the production before I started in on it.


It was dinged and had awful wear and scrapes all over the top's surface.


To its advantage though, every bit of this piece is SOLID wood, being made by Martinsville. Its original fixtures were also a heavy brass that simply needed a good cleaning.


This baby had tons of potential.

First order of business was the top. I elected to use my trusty orbit sander (Tip: don't bother buying new power tools - go for used. You can always find quality used power tools at auctions, yardsales, and craigslist. Test them and make sure they work and haven't been misued of course, but otherwise you can't go wrong. I bought my sander a long time ago from Habitat for Humanity for a whoppin' $15, and it's been worth every penny).

As with any sanding project, you're gonna get dirty. Always wear protective glasses and a dust mask, and cover anything in a 15 foot radius that you don't want getting a layer of dust on.


I forgot to cover things other than myself. So learn from my mistake.

My fingers tingled after the 30-or-so mins of sanding that it took, but it was well worth it!


I went over it again with some finer grit sandpaper by hand to make the surface extra smooth. I was pretty excited at how much more the wood grain now showed.


I painted it with my faithful General Finishes Queenstown Grey, a color I used before on our own nightstand. It's such a lovely grey-blue color. [Check out my Paint Prep Tips for your own project]


After a few coats, I applied GF's High Performance topcoat to seal. I liked the natural look of the wood top so much that the top received a very natural stain that brought more depth to the color and grain, then sealed.

I cleaned the brass fixtures and re-attached them (check out my one-product guide for how I cleaned them here).


Here's what it looks like now:







Such a difference a little muscle work will do!

Glad to be back! I have posts lined up as there is much to catch up on! See y'all again at the end of the week!






1 comment:

  1. I love this! The top is so pretty! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/09/anything-blue-friday-week-96.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Also, you are showcased at the Weekly Feature Series. Here is that link so you can check out all of the amazing features from the week. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/09/weekly-feature-series.html Hope you're having an amazing weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!

Bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...