Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Yardsale Haul - May 2015

This past weekend I got to have one of those yardsale experiences of finding one amazing bargain piece after another, including specific items I'd been looking for.

Using my go-to resources for finding good yardsales, I geekily mapped out an itinerary days before so I could hit-up 6 big multi-sale and moving sales all in one morning. Two especially stood out: a retirement village, and the other a multi-vendor sale in a park.

My cash budget was a wee $30 from a recent selling of my ancient Gameboy, so it was a lot of fun to put my wheelin' and dealin' skills to use again! In fact they allowed me to walk away from the retirement village with a hand truck (we've been looking for one awhile now!) and these two awesome large glass jars for a total of $5! Goodness did I have a big grin on my face as I stowed it all in my car! A good hand-truck alone can run $50 and upwards, so this was a steal!




Later at the park I hadn't walked by many booths before I saw IT.


The Federal Style of furniture has always appealed to me. No, that's an understatement. I LOVE it. I'd also been on the lookout for such a piece to be in our entryway or as a TV stand. So I immediately bee-lined it to the dresser and checked for a price. Not seeing one, I asked the gal how much.

"That? Asking $40, but make an offer."

Ooo. Now I was definitely tempted. But there was still one problem...

...I was driving my Mini. It can fit a lot more than most would believe, but a dresser...

"Hm, maybe if I can find a way to get it back to my house I can consider it. I'll make a call and see."

"Oh! Do you live far? We could probably just drop it off for you."

Oh heavens, not have to lift it myself or commandeer a vehicle? She was singing my tune.

As it turned out, I happened to be just down the road from the sale, so I told her as much and then added that I wanted to look at the rest of the vendors and then I'd come back with a decision. She kindly said she'd hold it for me.

I probably took no more than 10 minutes to see the rest of the vendors. I also double-checked what cash I still had on me. Only $25.

It was time to get my negotiation skills to work again.

Coming back to the Federal dresser, I gave it a closer inspection - opening drawers, the "sniff test", etc. Satisfied, I approached the lady again and offered $25.

She countered with $30, citing the delivery being included. It was truly a good deal, so I showed her my cash remnant and said that $25 was all I had, but that I could pay the final $5 when it was delivered to the house. We shook hands and that was that!

Her father immediately went to work getting it in his truck, and no more than 10 minutes later it was sitting in my driveway as I had a nice chat with the father (he had a story about one of our annoying neighbors that had me laughing) and handed over the $5.

So, here it is, all for $30!


It's sitting in my garage for now because it has some missing veneer on the sides and drawers, so I'm going to be restoring it (this will be my first time trying to restore veneer, so if you have tips please send them in!).


Y'all have any awesome finds or deal-making this past weekend? Do tell! :)




Shared On: fromdreamtoreality

4 comments:

  1. Nice buys! I'm always on the lookout for good bargains! $30 for a dresser (delivered) is a great deal! Have fun making it perfect for you! Visiting today from From Dream to Reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a great deal on this dresser. I can't wait to see the restoration. I have no idea how to repair the veneer but it's something that I want to learn. :)
    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both with fixing veneer! Hehe. I have the process in-theory from other bloggers, but we'll see what happens when I actually put it into practice! Guess we'll be learning together on here! :)

      Delete

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!

Bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...