Tuesday, October 28, 2014

How to Paint & Distress Furniture: Entry Table Makeover


This is the second of two tables my mom gave me to paint for her (see the Driftwood Gray bedside table here), and I love how it turned out!

It started as a piece that showed no style; it came originally painted a dark brown and a bearing a few chips on the tabletop, this table needed a major face-lift.


We chose a creamy off-white color from General Finishes milk paint in the color "Linen". Mom also pictured roughing the piece up to give it a chic, worn antique appearance. I've done distressing on costumes for historical films, but this was a first for furniture, so I was intrigued to try it. 

As milk paint requires no sanding or priming prep work, I was able to immediately start painting. However, because it was previously painted I started with a small test strip on the back of the piece before going further. I'm so glad I did, for as soon as the paint dried it showed lots of streaks and some bubbling. 

This told me one important fact: that brown paint was oil-based. 

Milk paint is water-based...

...oil and water don't mix.

...I was in for a ton of sanding. (silver lining: arm muscles?)

A few hours and a pair of arthritic hands later, I had worked a majority of the paint off and down to the original wood.

At last able to get to the fun part of painting, in a short while later it looked like this:


Letting it dry completely overnight, the next day I took a sponge sander and went over the edges of the table to give it more detail and "history". My favorite part is how the darker bits of the wood shows through around the border of the top edge on the tabletop.








Amazing difference from its humble beginnings! The power of paint, y'all.



2 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty! I love white furniture--so cheerful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It does seem so much more crisp and bright in white! I'll probably be experimenting more with it in the future to bring back some cheer to certain pieces. :)

      Delete

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!

Bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...