Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Design Dilemma - Bathroom (& a couch!)

Bathroom decor in a minute, but first, we have a sofa winner!  Our dozen-store quest for a sofa that Karl and I both liked and was within our budget ended as of this past Monday night! *happy dance*.

It came down to two couches: Raymour & Flannigan's "Lily" sofa in smoke gray, and the Klaussner "Serafina" that we found with a small furniture business.



Hmm, not doing it for me.  We need to make this more epic.  It is a couch battle after all!


That's more like it.  Fight...!

If you remember in this entry, this was the mood board created for the living room to mesh our two rather different preferences/styles for furniture:


Both of the sofas we were considering had features shared by the furniture in this board:

Lily - the tufted cushions, exposed feet, nice straight modern lines, and we were kind of digging the smoke gray color (and it came in microfiber, which we liked).
Seraphina - neutral cream color, exposed feet, straight modern lines and armrest detail, and a free microfiber upgrade courtesy of the sales lady, Darlene.

They also were both the same size and shared the same price, and we were able to haggle negotiate a lower price with the salesperson for each so that the discounted price was only a $4 difference between the two.  One major factor though was that we could have the Lily delivered in 3 days or less, where as the Seraphina would arrive in about 4 weeks.  Hmmm.

So what did it come down to for the deciding factor?

The cushions.

Yup.  The cushions.  (that one was all Karl, hehe).  He liked that there were three cushions on the Seraphina so that a person sitting in the middle didn't have to sit on a sloping crack, but their own cushion.  Good point, right?  I personally wanted to stick to the neutral color (even though the gray was nice), so I was very happy to go with the Seraphina. (I'm already wondering if I could add metal nailheads to the armrests for some extra "oomf" when it comes...).

As for the 4 week wait, as Karl also said, we've been fine using lawn chairs for 4 weeks, so we can deal with it another 4.  True dat yo.  :)

On to the bathroom!

First can I just say, it's AMAZING to have a real floor in the bathroom!  In our previous apartment our bathroom was in the basement boiler room with a cement floor.  It was hard to clean and was always super cold.

Totally inviting place to offer your friends who came to visit ^.  The oil and water tanks were behind that curtain.  Note all the mats in the attempt to keep our feet from direct contact with the floor - it was like playing the "lava" game in there.  :-P

Now we have a nice linoleum floor in a bathroom that is on the main level of the house.  *blissful sigh*


As you can see in the above pic, we only had the shower lining curtain at first (which was an improvement on the towel we had the first day).

I wanted to use the shower curtain as the starting point to help inspire me on how to decorate the rest of the bathroom, so I looked through a bunch of curtains online from Kohl's, Target, etc.until my eyes landed on this from BedBathBeyond.


Me likey.

Karl came over to inspect it and gave the "all clear" signal, so we used our BBB 20% off coupon and got it.  You wouldn't believe how excited I was about getting a simple shower curtain - I added it to the shower rod as soon as we got home from the store.  :-P

Halfway on!

Quite remarkable how such a simple thing immediately changed the room.



As I stood in the bathroom admiring the new look, I realized I had a framed photo of a tree (all of our framed art is still sitting around) that would be great for the bathroom, so I grabbed it and hung it opposite of the shower:

$3 Goodwill find ftw!
...and thus started the tree theme that I've been on a kick with.  Mwhahahaaa....

With the shower curtain tree springboard, I've jumped to decor that will feel rustic and "outdoorsey" for the bathroom.  I also am going to continue to run with the dining room's plum theme and have splashes of plum here and there.  I don't have a mood board for the bathroom, but here's some items to give an idea:




I've also bought the curtain material ($3!) that I intend to make as a roman shade.

plum and golden brown stripes ^_^

It's fun as everything is starting to take shape, and not only in the bathroom.  Since ordering our sofa, I've been spending time in our garage painting the "lovely" bookcases that you see sitting to the right in the pic below:


Now in the garage here:


I've been hankering to get these guys painted for the past year, but had no proper place to do so.  Now with the garage and some man-help getting them to there (thanks, Barry!), I've got 2 coats of paint finished, and will be doing some other tweaks to them.  I'll be sharing the before and after of these babies soon! (can't wait!)  :-D

[Edit: see the finished bookcases here]

4 comments:

  1. Great blog, this could be the best blog I ever visited this month. Never stop to write something useful dude!.
    Bathroom Remodeling Arlington VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hey, thanks, that means a lot!

      Delete
  2. Love the sofa, we are having the cushion debate as well, the sofa I love has only two so looking for a similar one with three cushions. I need slipcovered as it's for the beach, sand, etc. is rough on upholstery and hard to keep out in the summertime. The shower curtain is very nice and the art is a perfect complement. You're making great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you're planning to slipcover the sofa and want to save a little, I'd recommend seeking out a sofa at a good auction house, estate sale/auction, or craigslist. Cheers!

      Delete

Get updates about our old home restoration, DIY tutorials, and project ideas to your inbox!

Bloglovin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...