It took many experiments in the kitchen (adding more of this, less of that, and the infamous "here honey, try these") to get a GF muffin recipe that was moist and not too heavy or "crumbly". After finally getting it just right and tasting these suckers, boy am I glad I kept trying! These babies are scrumptious, and I've been known to easily down several of them in one sitting. So today I present these to you so I'm not the only one happily cramming them into my mouth.
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 eggs
- strawberry jam
- 1 cup brown sugar
- dash salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- lil over 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup milk (lactaid, coconut, etc if you're lactose intolerant)
- 1 tbsp honey
Note: this recipe seems to come out best by using muscle+spoon to mix versus a mixer.
- Set oven for 400 degrees.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add olive oil, honey and milk, and mix.
- Add cup of flour, mix. Pour 2nd cup of flour, mix.
- Stir in the baking powder and salt.
- Pour the mixture only a quarter full into each of the cupcake tins, then add a spoonful of the strawberry jam to each muffin. Evenly distribute the rest of the mix over top of the jam so that the jam is now in the center of the muffins.
- Bake for about 20-30 mins at 400 degrees.
- Check them with a toothpick to see if they've baked through at 20 mins. Muffins will be a nice golden brown when finished. If the insides are taking longer to bake and the outsides are already turning golden, turn the heat back by about 50 degrees.
Fyi, this is a base recipe I use for muffins, so you can just add jelly, chocolate chips, blueberries, etc. depending on what muffin-mood you're in.
(Thanks to glutenfreehomemaker and simplysugarandglutenfree for the feature!)